Monday, June 17, 2024

My Father’s Day Gifts

For Father’s Day, I got to video chat with each of my kids, who still insist on living in other states despite the manifold blessings to be had by living closer to their mother and me. Be that as it may, it was wonderful seeing their faces and catching up. Kaitlin called while her and Jon were driving somewhere in Columbia. Patrick called from his living room, sitting next to Sarah, only to have their Golden boy Frisco pounce between them when he first heard Pop’s voice. Adorable.

So, they both bought me special Father’s Day gifts. I dare say that no father out there got better gifts than I did. This is because my children know me so well. Why? Well, it’s basically the fact that I’m not very complicated. I’m pretty easy to figure out, I’m nobody’s enigma…just your basic garden variety Dad. Consequently, each of them gave me perfect gifts, both of which reflected the personality of the giver. First up…Kaitlin.


Cannot wait to read this since I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Of course she took special care when sending this photograph to include the fact that Ms. Hannah’s book has 122,951 ratings, while mine has…8. Oversight? Coincidence? I think not. Then she included a gift card to Barnes and Noble with a special reminder to me…


This particular apple came to rest against the very stump of the tree.

Then there’s my only son, Patrick. His gift was uniquely satisfying since it includes some of the finest things on earth…


That’s right. This is exactly what it looks like…2 pounds of bacon, a pound of sausage patties, a pound of loose country sausage and a pound of loose Chorizo, all from a local Nashville meat store, shipped in dry ice directly to my doorstep. He knows full well my love of any kind of meat derived from pigs. He also loves nothing more than supporting local businesses while giving the finger to national chains—a chip off the old block! The only downside to this fabulous gift is that it will most likely arrive the same day we leave for Maine.

So, I hope all you dads out there had a wonderful time yesterday. I certainly did!






No comments:

Post a Comment