Thursday, October 3, 2019

The Latest News From the Fight

Up at 4:30 again. This is getting ridiculous. With the Nationals playing on the west coast tonight, this is going to be one very long day. 

But you know who’s also up every morning around this time? My friend who has breast cancer. She and her husband can never sleep past around 3:30 or 4:00 so, weather permitting, they go for a walk down by the flood wall in Buena Vista.

As you know, every morning since she got sick I’ve been texting her jokes and trying in my ham-fisted way to encourage her. Most of the time, she’s the one who ends up encouraging me. This morning's exchange was fairly typical. I share it here with just a few minor edits to give you a feel for what kind of person she is. . .

Me: I called my wife and asked her if I should pick up Fish and Chips on my way home from work and she hung up.

Her: ?

Me: She’s still angry she let me name the kids.

Her: Horrible! But, expected. Ok, hair started falling out in handfuls yesterday.

Me: To be expected. But, how do you feel about it?

Her: I wanted to cry but I didn’t.

Me: Oh dear girl...

Her: They told me I would be bald by October 8th when this all started. Even though I knew it was coming, it’s still another life changer.

Me: (Unable to think of anything helpful to say)

Her: So I went into my chart last night and saw where my first chemo treatment’s price was listed. Guess how much?

Me: No idea.

Her: $89,471

Me: Insanity! Somebody is getting rich off your illness. Pisses me off...wait, how many chemo treatments are you going to get? Four, right?

Her: Six total.

Me: Freaking chemo is going to cost somebody a half a million dollars. Grrrrr.....

Her: I know! It’s very sad. I’m so grateful for Johnny’s health insurance.

Me: Speaking of Johnny, did you hear about the time he took his granddaughter to a restaurant and the waitress reminded him that kids eat for free?

Her: Sigh....No. But you’re gonna tell me.

Me: So, Johnny said, “Ok then, I’m gonna have a glass of water and some chicken nuggets and she’s gonna have a T-Bone steak medium rare with a Bud Lite.

Her: You are not right.

Me: Oh, and what do you call a Wednesday without any rain?

Her: Lord Help me Jesus...

Me: A dry hump day.

Her: (three face palm emojis)

Me: Love you guys. Have a nice walk

I have listened to her describe her battle with cancer for weeks now. It’s a mixture of tragedy and triumph. Some days she is a pillar of strength. Other days she is worn out. But through it all her great faith and intrinsic optimism keep shining through. There’s very little self pity. Her biggest fear seems to be...how her cancer is affecting her family. She feels bad for putting them through this ordeal. 

I just shake my head and marvel at her tenacity.


No comments:

Post a Comment