Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Getting The Right Perspective

Every year, my broker-dealer puts on an annual meeting. It lasts for three days or so and features a series of speakers, dozens of break out sessions, and cocktail parties. In other words, lots of sitting in meetings, and rubbing shoulders with a thousand people you don’t know, trying to make small talk, “Hey, how ‘bout those new compliance regs, eh? Sheesh!” It would be almost impossible to design anything for which I am more ill-suited by education, training and life experience than a three day meeting. So, I avoid them like the plague. Thank the God of the Universe that these confabs are not mandatory. I attend once every five years whether I need to or not. 

So, yesterday my partner and his girls—who always go to these meetings—conducted a debriefing where they shared the highlights of what they had learned from this year’s session with me. I sat at the end of the conference table and girded my loins for what I was sure would be a white knuckle emotional roller coaster. I was not disappointed. Let me summarize:

1. All of us are one mistake away from being sued and losing everything.

2. IF we don’t get sued, we will probably get fined a gazillion dollars if one of our office computers gets hacked and client information gets compromised...oh, and our errors and omissions coverage probably won’t cover it.

3. None of us know the first thing about computers and this fact will probably wind up causing our financial and professional ruin.

4. The way I do business is likely to be rejected by the latest regulatory regime within a year or so, causing me to change the way I charge clients for my services, the net result being I must charge them WAY MORE in exchange for less performance.


And this, my friends, is why I don’t attend these meetings. This industry is tough enough without having to be beaten over the head with  just how tenuous my survival is for three days in a meeting that I have to pay to attend. I mean, if I wanted to cultivate suicidal thoughts I could stay home and watch CNN for free.

But then I talk with me friend about her cancer and what kind of day she’s having and I check myself. It’s a hard day. She’s tired and fearful and feeling defeated. She’ll snap out of it because she’s tough as a two dollar steak...but this morning it’s rough. She wants to feel normal, she is tired of thinking about cancer, she’s tired of the relentless burden of it all. I tell her a couple of bad jokes. She laughs. Then she gives me a passage of scripture to look up. I do. It’s about perseverance. She tells me she feels better now. She reminds me that I don’t have...any problems. And unless you’re facing a chemo treatment this Thursday morning...you probably don’t either.

No comments:

Post a Comment