Tuesday, December 1, 2020

2020 Ennui

2020 has now managed to slog its way into December. COVID is not only still with us, it appears to be ascendant. There is a vaccine on its way, but public confidence in it, along with everything else coming from government officials, seems at an all-time low. We are witnessing a poisonous and petulant transition of power never before seen in American politics. Our new President looks more frail with each passing day, and the old President seems hellbent on blowing everything up on his way out. I returned to the office yesterday to a death claim and more bad COVID news. It is fair to say that I find myself fighting against a rising tide of depression.

That probably sounds more dramatic than I intended. The fact that I feel a bit depressed is no bombshell. Life is full of highs and lows. Not every season is filled with triumphs. There are times in life when events conspire against you. That’s just the way life works. You grind through the dark times and eventually the sun breaks through the clouds. It has always been this way for me and I think for most people. This just happens to be one of the dark moments. When you’re essentially an optimist, having a pessimistic outlook is disconcerting. It catches you off guard, feels foreign, as if your mind has been invaded by an enemy. 

But, I will power through this at some point. I always have in the past. Good COVID news would help. A couple of good productive weeks at work would help. Good things happening to people I love would help the most. I have much to be thankful for. The blessings I have experienced in my life make a very long list. So, you can’t fairly complain when you experience a few setbacks, especially when those setbacks are beyond your control. This is the last I will speak of this in this space. Nobody wants to read about someone else's problems. All of you have plenty of your own problems, right?

Why do mermaids wear seashells?

Because she outgrew her b shells.




No comments:

Post a Comment