Thursday, December 3, 2020

The House of Flying Pictures!


This is my firstborn GrandPup, Jackson, aka Jack, Jacko, Jackie-Jack. He had a very bad day yesterday which I will explain shortly. But first, a little background on this beloved dog.

Of the three Golden Retrievers in the family, Jack is the only English Creme. He is also known for not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, although his comparative lack of basic intelligence is more than made up for by a generous helping of lovability. You will never meet a snugglier dog. Then there’s the matter of his most striking characteristic... epic clumsiness. If the three Goldens in the family were athletes, Lucy would be the fleet and agile wide receiver on a football team, Frisco would be the graceful center fielder on a baseball team. Jack would be the second string offensive tackle on the practice squad. Watching Jacko run is like watching some kind of dog cartoon, all four paws flying out at odd angles, tongue flopping around all over the place. It’s nothing short of adorable, actually.

So, anyway, Jack had a bad day yesterday at the new house in Columbia. It was his first day alone in his new home. Pam and I had been with him last week, and Jon had Monday and Tuesday off. Yesterday was his first solo and, let’s just say...it didn’t go well. First off, a delivery of lumber was dumped in the side yard for the completion of a fence Jon is finishing in the back yard. The sound of crashing 2x4’s hitting the ground was I’m sure disconcerting. Then, at some point during the day, a very large painting that was hung in the kitchen inexplicably came unhooked and crashed to the floor. When Kaitlin returned from work she found a spot of pee on her bedroom carpet and both vomit and poop on the floor in the study.

In Jack’s defense, I’m thinking that if I were him, alone in a new house for the first time, and suddenly pictures started flying off the walls, I’m pretty sure I would have lost control of most of my bodily functions too! Jack must have been thinking, “My humans have left me alone in house of flying pictures! What I do to deserve this??” Poor boy. Tomorrow will be a better day. He will adjust. But until he does I have advised Kaitlin to close the door to any carpeted rooms!



Jack...in happier times.

I’ve looked for books that might help him make the adjustment but so far haven’t had any luck...







No comments:

Post a Comment