Friday, December 4, 2020

Cat Plague

Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time will be aware of my love for dogs. What you may not be aware of is my loathing of cats. I have for the most part tried to keep this loathing under wraps, knowing as I do the odd attachment many of my readers have to felines. Indeed, my own family is full of cat lovers, (mostly women I might add), so I try to tread lightly. Especially since perhaps the biggest cat lover of them all is my beloved niece Christina Garland. Now, anyone who knows Chrissy is aware that there isn’t a sweeter person in the world. She is a wonderful mother, wife, etc etc...but this glaring weakness in her character, perhaps, dare I say, her only weakness has always troubled me. I try to drop little hints to her about her cat problem, but it is quite true what they say that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Unfortunately, Chrissy remains stubbornly unaware. I suppose I can’t really blame her. Her own mother, my sister, is an unrepentant cat person who recently indulged her life long addiction with yet another kitten. Now, every fifteen minutes she sends a Marco Polo of the little tyrant doing something “cute”, the mere image of which sends me into a sneezing fit. But, what can I say? You don’t get to pick your family!

The year of COVID has granted all of us extra time for self reflection. One thing that has become clear to me is that my attempts to rescue the cat lovers in my family from their dangerous obsession have been woefully lacking. To that end, this blog post is intended to be the opening salvo of a new, more robust anti-cat initiative. From time to time I will produce more and more public service anti-cat information in this space. Education is always the key to a better life. I can think of no other tool for the task of ridding Chrissy of her feline fever than...Gary Larson. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment