Sunday, November 29, 2020

Wonder Woman

Spending an entire week helping your daughter move in to a new home is unlike a Maine vacation in one significant way...I actually lost weight. Apparently, packing and unpacking boxes, cleaning and moving furniture, burns more calories than fishing, sitting around a camp fire, and drinking beer. Who knew?

We are back after a week in Columbia, delighted to have slept in our king size bed last night, and so thoroughly proud of Jon and Kaitlin we can hardly stand it. Their new house is beautiful and, for the moment, clean. There’s only one room that remains unfinished—the study— and even that is coming along nicely. We even put up the tree before we left...



At this point I should probably stop using the term we, since although we all put in our fair share of labor, this entire enterprise would have been an unmitigated disaster without...Pam Dunnevant. It is almost impossible to overemphasize just how indispensable she was to the successful completion of this mission. Everyone has their own work style. Some people require supervision to stay on track, others work best when given a list, etc...but my wife thrives in chaos, and this skill is a dramatic thing to behold in action. From the time we pulled into their old driveway on Sunday afternoon until we crawled out of their new one Saturday morning, she was like a cross between the Energizer Bunny and a Teamster foreman. Whether it was her down on her hands and knees scrubbing a stubborn spot on the bathroom floor, or packing up an entire kitchen by herself, or throwing together delicious meals for everyone every night, she was the queen bee around which the rest of us merely buzzed. It was an amazing performance that had all of us glancing at each other asking, Who is this woman, and when is she gonna crash? But, she never did. She would be forgiven for sleeping until noon this morning...but she won’t.

I had my moments. Friday, I was given a list of five objectives for the day. I love having a list. I finished everything by 2 o’clock in the afternoon, but my best moment of the week came later that afternoon when the internet guy showed up to hook the house up to the World Wide Web. This guy was very tall, wore his mask on his chin and was a dead ringer for Snoop Dog. We all understood roughly 25% of what he said, which made it difficult to determine how to proceed with his directives. Eventually we were able to make out the fact that unless he could gain access to the walk-in crawl space under the house he could not continue. The door was locked and Jon, who was at work, had the only key. Snoop was about to pack up and leave when a skill I learned during my misspent youth came back to me at the perfect time. I ran into the back yard, retrieved an old expired credit card from my wallet I keep for just this purpose, and slid it between the lock and the door knob and DING, I was in! We retrieved Snoop before he was able to make his escape, he was able to hook up the internet and everyone lived happily ever after.

But, my wife was the thing this week. Amazing. 











No comments:

Post a Comment