Tuesday, November 3, 2020

The Words of Children

I’m not exactly sure what it is but the words of children are getting to me of late. Yesterday I posted a picture of a Thank You note delivered to my mailbox by the kids next door. I found out later that their mother had no idea they had written it and had been reduced to tears upon seeing it on Facebook. This morning I shared it with my friend in Buena Vista. Her response was to show me a note that her granddaughter had sent her after her COVID diagnosis had placed her grandmother in quarantine...


“Can we be together again becues I lov you and it fells like frever sins we herd the news The Cronuvirus and I miss you and love you.”

As a writer I love the way children express themselves on paper. There’s no embellishments, no unnecessary words or phrases. There’s no agenda, no hidden meaning. With phonetically correct spelling they just pour out exactly what is on their minds and when we read their words they cut us to the quick. What if all written communication was this crystal clear and honest?




No comments:

Post a Comment