Saturday, November 2, 2019

Living Through The Revolution

November is off to a rousing start here at the Dunnevant house. After the thrilling World Series win by the Nationals, the month of Thanksgiving has arrived with chilly temperatures and bright clear skies. Only one more obstacle stands in the way of the people and our righteous pursuit of happiness...the election...but that will soon be but a bad dream and in our rear view mirrors. As the proctologist said to the man who accidentally swallowed marbles, “this too shall pass”.

The new month has brought with it a couple of good jokes that I have passed on to my friend:

What do you call a duck who gets straight A’s?

A Wise Quacker.

Panda walks into a bar and says, “I’ll have a bourbon...................................and coke.”

Bartender says, “Ok, but what’s with the big paws?”

This next one might seem inappropriate to some of you, and frankly, it probably is. But sometimes inappropriate jokes are kinda awesome...

You hear that Dolly Parton is getting into the grocery business? She bought the Piggly Wiggly and the Harris Teeter down in Gatlinburg.

She’s going to name the new store Dolly Parton’s Wiggly Teeters

In other news, just in time for the chilly weather, I bought one of these babies for the patio:


A friend of mine has one and it’s amazing. So I go online to their website, pick out the one I want, type a few numbers into a purchase order and press send. Literally fifteen minutes later I get a text notifying me that my new bonfire stove has been shipped. 

Pause for a moment and think about that. We live in an amazing time in world history. Commerce and trade has become blindingly fast and efficient. I decide what I want, I go online and buy it with a click. It is then shipped to my door from God knows where. I didn’t need to go to a store. I didn’t even need to be wearing clothes. I just did it. This is a revolutionary way of interacting that is bypassing all conventional controls to access that human beings have always had to endure, including governments. They are all scrambling to keep up. This process serves to empower the consumer but it takes power from practically everyone else. It will be fascinating to watch the transformation this will bring for good and ill. The bottom line is this...Americans are buying practically everything differently than they did a mere twenty years ago. Cash? Hardly ever. Checks? Even more rare. From a store at the mall? Bruhahaha. This is the world we live in, like it or not.








No comments:

Post a Comment