Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Ten Things I Will Never Tire Of

Leave it to my sister to complain about the negativity of yesterday’s blogpost. As a corrective measure she suggested a follow-up blog entitled, Ten Things I will Never Tire Of. Never let it be said that I can’t take constructive criticism, especially when it’s actually a good idea! Here goes:

I will never tire of living in a place with four distinct seasons. In Virginia we get all four of them and the contrast is one of the most genius aspects of creation. 

I will never get tired of baseball. My past enthusiasm for other sports has waned. Football, basketball and golf have all slowly fallen off my sports radar over the years, but baseball has been a constant. Don’t get me wrong, it hasn’t been for lack of trying. The players’ strike of 1994 was a body blow and tempted me to walk away. The continued existence of the designated hitter roils me, the steroid crisis angered me beyond description...but baseball still endures in my heart and soul.

I will never get tired of sausage. Mild, medium or spicy. Polish, Italian, patties or links. Doesn’t matter.

I will never get tired of writing. For me its very much like breathing, an involuntary reflex that I have no ability to resist. It calms me down and fires me up. It allows me to express myself honestly without the assistance of expensive and annoying therapists. 

I will never get tired of Maine. I am drawn to the place like a moth is drawn to flame. It has the power to transform and rejuvenate like no other place in the world for me. It restores my soul.

I will never tire of the thrill I get from helping someone in need. It’s even more thrilling when you’re able to pull it off anonymously!

I will never get tired of the wonderful feeling I get when all four of my children are standing at the top of the steps waiting for Pam and I to allow them to come down on Christmas morning.

I will never get tired of intelligent, provocative and fearless preaching, the kind that convicts, provokes and inspires in equal measure. Anything less is a colossal waste of time.

I will never tire of dogs. They hold a unique place in my devotion that simply cannot be replaced by anything else. They make my life better in a thousand ways.

I will never tire of the thrill I get when I pull the trigger of my Daisy Powerline 35 and see that squirrel flipping head over heels out of the tree and onto the ground. 


No comments:

Post a Comment