Friday, March 6, 2020

Good Days and Bad Days

Yesterday was a difficult day for my friend. Her prognosis is still great, in fact, this week has been notable for good news in that regard. But sometimes after major surgery the enormity of events hits you out of the blue. Most days don’t lend themselves to introspection because you’re too busy scrambling to keep up, but other times when you reach a resting place it hits you just how scary a path you have walked. It happened to me about three weeks after my emergency open heart surgery nearly 18 years ago. I remember waking up one morning and thinking...What has happened to me? Yesterday was such a day for my brave friend. There wasn’t anything I could say to her, no magical incantation that I could whip up that felt right for the moment. So...I went for a risky joke:

If you think Thursday is depressing just wait a couple of days...it will be a sadder day.

I know, I know. Pretty horrible. But it was all I could think of. Luckily she knows me well enough to know that this is what you get from me sometimes. It’s part of the package. So, this morning, when I woke up at 5 am for some God awful reason, I had a little extra time to hunt for jokes. I felt a special obligation to redeem myself for yesterday’s performance...

Did I tell you about my buddy who’s wife is a horrible cook? Yeah, the other night she asked him for some peace and quiet while she cooked dinner. So he took the batteries out of the smoke detector.

Heard they are making a movie about the Coronavirus...it’s going to be directed by Quinton Quarantino.

Just went in to Starbucks and the barista was wearing a surgical mask. I asked him “why are you wearing a surgical mask?” He said, “I’m not...it’s a coughy filter.”

My wife says that I don’t give her enough privacy. At least that’s what she said in her dairy.

She hasn’t responded yet. Probably still asleep. Hope she laughs. Hope she has a better day. Keep her in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment