Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Assembly

My church, along with many others, made the decision to cancel services today. Instead of four separate meetings with over 700 people crammed into one auditorium, they will have one service at 9:30 which will be live-streamed with only essential personnel in the building. I believe this was wise and proper, and I will be watching, but...I will miss the assembly, the gathering, being together.

The early Christians warned us not to forsake the assembly. There have been times in my life when practically any excuse to skip church was sufficient. But as I have gotten older, and especially since Pam and I found Hope Church, it has become the highlight of our week. There is something reassuring about being together under one roof and for one purpose at a vibrant church. It’s unique in that every other meeting I attend is comprised of largely similar constituencies; investors, businessmen, brokers, advisors. But when I gather together with 700 people at the eleven o’clock service at my church, its a smorgasbord of diverse people from every background, socio-economic class, and life experience you can imagine. Honestly, the vast majority of them I don’t even know, couldn’t tell you their names if my life depended on it. In a church the size of Hope this is unavoidable. On any given Sunday Pam and I will know maybe forty people. But as I glance around the room there are flickers of recognition and camaraderie. I recognize that face. We smile at each other. Something warm is exchanged from across the room. 

When we all stand for worship and the music begins, we are all asked to leave behind the cares of the week—and this week there would have been much to leave behind—and give over our attention to prayer and the worship of God. Of the 700 people in the room many would prefer different music from what is provided. Others love the music just the way it is. But once it begins and we hear each other’s voices ringing out as one it doesn’t matter so much any more. We are reassured by the lyrics, uplifted by the melodies, reminded that all over the world at this hour hundreds of millions of voices are being raised for the same purpose. It grounds you in the moment and suddenly the burdens you entered the room with begin to lighten. We are in this together. Some lift their hands, some sway back and forth, others are solemn and still, heads bowed eyes closed, but there is freedom in this moment.

Then, the pastor shares the message, long planned, tenderly prepared, and we all hear the same words and we all respond differently. To some of us the message will be soothing. Others might take offense, still others will feel that they are the only ones in the room and the pastor’s words are meant just for them. Some will feel the discomfort of conviction, others will find hope and reassurance. Such is the complex group dynamics at play when we come together in the assembly. I will miss it. I will tune in to the live-stream and be thankful that we have the technology to do so, but I will miss the gathering together, the smiles from across the room, the delightfully discordant mixture of the corporate voice raised. Maybe next week or the week after that we will be back together. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment