Saturday, February 24, 2024

A Friend’s Question

A friend recently asked me, “How come you don’t write about politics much anymore?” It was a fair question. I just checked and he was right. So far this year exactly one of my 26 posts have been about politics. One reason I don’t write about politics anymore is—nobody reads when I do. That one post entitled “Are You Ready For Election 2024?”, garnered a whopping 38 views, which for The Tempest is pathetically low. I would imagine that a fair number of my regular readers know of my disdain for the Republican front runner and don’t care to be reminded. But its not just that, most people are either sick of politics are profoundly embarrassed by their candidate, and would just rather not think too long on the subject.

Its a shame. I’ve probably had more fun making fun of politics and politicians than any other topic in the 13 year history of this blog. For one thing, its always been such a target-rich environment. Per capita, people in politics do more cringeworthy things than any other demographic in the country, even celebrities. The profession has inspired more jokes and joke-making than anything I can think of in my lifetime. But now, none of them are funny anymore. Absolutely nothing about American politics is even remotely funny. So, I have chosen to move on to other topics. That’s the answer to my friend’s question.


No comments:

Post a Comment