Sunday, June 4, 2023

Where Are All of These People Going?

Yesterday morning I left the house around 8:30 on one of my inexplicable pedestrian quests. This time the goal was to walk farther than I had ever walked before, return home without broken bones or other medical issues, then brag about the accomplishment the rest of the day. Two hours and six minutes later I did just that. Having wandered a circuitous 8.2 mile route around greater Short Pump. The goal will now be to complete the same circuit in a better time than 2:06:42. Even I am starting to think this is stupid. (See ridiculous map at the bottom of this blog)

After a delicious lunch at Tazza kitchen with Pam, I was looking forward to a long afternoon nap with Lucy. But then Pam announced that there was a cool thing happening at Bryan Park that she wanted to check out, something having to do with the Richmond Symphony and quintettes. Before I knew what was happening, Chip and Lynn Hewette were in the back seat of my car and we were on our way to a park I hadn’t visited since I was in my 20’s.



Where in the heck are all theses people going? Apparently, there is an appetite for classically trained musicians who are willing to perform under little tents spread out along a one mile trail in the woods. First up was a brass group, then woodwinds, then strings etc..





Each stop along this walk was a delight. There was classical music, some American standards, and even a Beatles song in the mix. All free of charge.

The only drawback was the fact that it was the hottest day of the year. Consequently, shady spots to stand or sit were at a premium. We found ourselves hustling along to the next tent before each mini-concert was over to find a spot. But other than that it was a fun afternoon. Bryan Park wasn’t anywhere close to how I remembered it. Of course, my memories are 40 years old and most likely unreliable.

Now its Sunday morning and time for church. David is preaching, I know because this week it was my turn to prepare the discussion guide. Its an interesting topic that was challenging for me for a variety of reasons. Can’t wait to see how he delivers this one. If you are a member of Hope Church and reading this in your pajamas debating whether or not to come or watch it on livestream, take a shower, get dressed and stop doing that…forsaking the gathering together…thing!!



*ridiculous map









No comments:

Post a Comment