Wednesday, July 20, 2022

A Special Guest

It has been a crazy couple of days. It all started on Saturday when I received the following text from one of Pam’s dearest friends, Becky Baldwin:

Okay, hear me out……what is your HONEST opinion for me to fly up for Pam’s bday? I have tons of miles that I could use to come in Monday afternoon/evening and leave Wednesday afternoon. I’d fly into the smaller airport in Rockland as it’s only 10 miles away. Do you think I’m crazy?

My answer began, “Well, of course I think you’re crazy.” Two days later I tell Pam that we are going out for lunch to this new restaurant that I had found in Rockland. When we arrive at the Rockland airport she is confused but still clueless. “Apparently the airport cafe serves amazing haddock chowder,” I lied. A couple minutes later, this happened:



These two go back over 30 years. They were in the same Sunday School class together at Grove. They became mothers around the same time. Although their lives went in different directions over the years, the friendship endured. And yes, it is not your imagination…they very much look like sisters. But the resemblance isn’t limited to their physical appearance. Their friends tend to use the same adjectives to describe them—kind, generous, loving, loyal etc…

So, when Becky arrived, it was the hottest day we’ve had so far. The skies were overcast, the wind was blowing like a hurricane, a cloud of haze has settled in over Camden. Pam was so disappointed that she wouldn't get to show off her happy place when it was looking its best. Then, on Monday night, an incredible rainstorm blew through overnight. yesterday dawned bright and clear…and it was on!


Turning the two of them loose on the streets of Camden, Maine was like a revitalization plan for the local economy.


No store was safe…



Mount Battie has never looked so beautiful.



Gazing out across the Penobscot Bay at Vinalhaven, I heard Becky say, “Wait…is that a Kate Spade store?” Pam calmly replied, “Becky, that’s a lobster buoy, settle down!!”

This morning we will head out to Owl’s Head lighthouse, which is a mere five minute drive from the airport, then put her on a plane back to Virginia. It has been a great couple of days. Pam got to celebrate her 60th birthday with one of her all-time buddies. I got to enjoy watching the two of them catch up. Having the privilege of introducing our friends to Maine is one of the greatest joys of our lives. Thanks Beck, for given us that chance.





No comments:

Post a Comment