Tuesday, March 30, 2021

What ARE the Rules, Exactly?

There are eleven people who work at my office. One of them returned from a recent trip and tested positive for COVID after being exposed while away. He only discovered he had been exposed two days after he had returned to the office. Accordingly, the rest of us had to quarantine and be tested for COVID. As of yesterday, six out of eleven have tested positive. So far I am not one of them. I have completed my quarantine and have received two negative COVID tests. Of the six people who have COVID, each has a different set of symptoms, with varying degrees of seriousness. 

All of this brings with it lots of questions. This past Saturday I got my first vaccine...Pfizer. I read an article just yesterday that stated that a preliminary study done with over 4000 vaccine recipients shows that after just two weeks of the first vaccine, the effectiveness rate climbs to 80%! Great news. But this morning I read in the Wall Street Journal an article from the CDC that offered more confusion than clarity. In the piece the question was asked, For fully vaccinated people, what exactly are the rules for engagement going forward, first with other fully vaccinated people and then with the Un-vaccinated? The answers were all over the place.

It appears that fully vaccinated people can have dinner parties, go to restaurants etc etc with other fully vaccinated people with no restrictions. However, when in the presence of Un-vaccinated people or people of unknown vaccination status, full social distancing/masking will still be required. Wait....what?? If all that getting a vaccine does for me is make it so that I can hang around other vaccinated people, how does that help me return to my life? I have labored under the assumption that once two weeks has passed after my second vaccine, I will be 90% in the clear from the risk of COVID. At that point, I would be free to go out and about largely without the ubiquitous mask except on the rare occasion when I might find myself in a packed to the gills indoor tight venue rubbing shoulders with total strangers...like a music concert or something. Of course, other things would not change, such as the much better personal hygiene habits I have developed since COVID, washing my hands multiple times a day, the use of hand sanitizer after touching potentially germ infested surfaces like toilet handles etc..but with a vaccine, I thought I could mostly ditch the mask. Apparently not. If an unvaccinated family member were to drop by the house, the mask is still to be worn?! WHY? If I do not have COVID and my chances of getting it is only 10% thanks to the vaccine...what’s with the mask?

Another problem I see with this is the power that this has to separate us, to segregate us even more than we already are as a nation. All strangers will have to be viewed with suspicion, since their vaccination status is unknown to us. Furthermore, unvaccinated people will now become the new shunned class, I guess. Maybe that’s as it should be. If someone chooses not to get the vaccine, I suppose that person must accept the social consequences of that decision. But the whole thing makes me uncomfortable for some reason that I can not adequately describe in words. Will we at some point be required to wear some sort of identifying badge so strangers will know our vaccination status? That’s Orwellian creepiness!!

Of course, these apprehensions have been brought on by one article in one newspaper. That’s certainly not the end of the story. The one thing I have learned through this ordeal is that knowledge is power and knowledge has to be diligently pursued. I welcome anyone reading this blog who might be in possession of better information to correct my understanding of the situation if I am wrong. I will continue, every single day, to seek out new information wherever I can find it, from the most reputable sources I can find. You should too.


No comments:

Post a Comment