Saturday, March 20, 2021

Quarantine Day One in the Can

Day one of my quarantine is in the can. The first half of the day was productive. I answered several emails, talked to a couple clients on the telephone, even submitted a case. Just before lunch I even had time to write a limerick. A friend of mine, Len Tuck, challenged me with this: “I see a limerick using the word “quarantine” in your future.” I came up with this:

There once was a boomer who quarantined
A situation which was quite unforeseen
With so much spare time
And killing squirrels on his mind
Soon his poor wife had to intervene

Not great, but you try to rhyme something with quarantine twice!

The second half of the day was agonizingly slow. Lucy sat for long periods of time staring at me as if to say, What the heck are you doing home all day on a Friday. You don’t look sick to me. Don’t kid yourself. She knows the days of the week. Lucy picks up on every change in routine around here. If something is amiss she is all over it. I had many conversations with her like the following...

Lucy: (sitting next to me at my desk in the library, dubious expression on her adorable face)

Me: Would you knock it off? You are driving me crazy with that stare. I’m quarantined, Lucy. It’s no big deal. Go take a nap or something...

Lucy: (unmoved and unconvinced, she offers me her left paw as if she thinks I need to hold somebody’s hand)

Me: Alright...look. Here’s the deal. I have been exposed to someone who has COVID. That means I have to stay around here all day, everyday, for a while. Don’t worry, I didn’t like lose my job or anything. Your kibble will not be interrupted...

Lucy: (mid-sentence of my explanation, she walks over to the front door, then turns around and gives me one of her inside barks) Woooofph...which in Lucy speak means, well, if thats the case, why don’t you do something useful like take me for a walk around the culdesac?

After the second such walk, I started to feel imaginary ailments cropping up inside my body. Wait, is this a headache?  Am I getting warm or is it just from the walk and this jacket? Every fifteen minutes or so I would go to the refrigerator and eat something...just to make sure I still had working tastebuds.

When Pam got home, she saved the day by suggesting that we get Wong’s Tacos takeout. When we went on the website we noticed that for the first time in over a year they had blanco tacos on the menu!! My absolute favorite taco in the universe was now available for the first time post-COVID. We ordered a bagful along with Mexican street corn and Brussels sprouts. We ate like kings and I could taste every delectable morsel. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment