Sunday, March 28, 2021

A Wedding and a Vaccine

Big, eventful weekend. Went to The Wedding. Got my first COVID vaccine.

After a long, frustrating, and sometimes tortuous journey, my nephew Isaac Nunn married the girl of his dreams, Bernadette Murphy on a stunningly beautiful March Friday afternoon at the Hanover Arts and Activities Center on the railroad tracks in Ashland, Virginia...the Center of the Universe. Thus comes to an end Bernadette’s ten month stay at our home. In that time, we have gotten to know her, which is another way of saying...we have learned to love her. Of course, we have also gotten to spend lots of time with Isaac since he was over here for dinner practically every night. I have never known a couple who deserved a beautiful wedding more than these two. Although there seemed to be one obstacle after another in their path for the past year, they overcame each one with mostly good humor and truckloads of grace and hard work. To all of the professional finger wagging scolds out there worried about the future because of the alleged deficiencies of the next generation...put a sock in it. I’m here to tell you that we are in excellent hands.


Although Pam and I will miss her terribly, I think that Lucy will have even a harder time. Our dog fell in love with Bern right from the start and, if it were even possible, fell even harder for Isaac. Every evening around 5:30 Lucy would park herself at the front door and peer through the window to wait for their cars to arrive. If for some reason they didn’t she would become agitated. It will take a while for her to stop this habit. She is very much a creature of habit, as well as a dog filled to the brim with love and devotion to her family, to whom Bern and Isaac are now members. Lucy’s wedding gift to the kids was especially heart felt since she “wrote” it herself. Isaac and Bern read it on their way to the mountains and immediately sent this reply:

We opened Lucy’s card!! Very endearing. We can’t thank her enough for sharing with us and will think about her at dinner this week. However, we do have some questions about how Luce acquired these funds. Is she hanging around with nefarious folks? Is she selling something on the side? Is this just part of her weekly allowance? Regardless, we are honored.”

I offered this by way of explanation:

“This was her the other night trying to figure out if she could afford one bone or two?


As far as my vaccine goes, it was uneventful. The setup at the Richmond International Raceway was very well organized. The legions of volunteers that it took to run an operation like this was impressive. I thanked everyone who I encountered. So far my only side effects are a slightly sore shoulder, a slight fever in the middle of the night and some body aches this morning which by noon had gone away. I did learn something that I didn’t know about the vaccine that I would like to pass along to my readers:

Apparently, the COVID vaccine causes constipation. The nurse who gave my the jab told me that I would have to wait 3 whole weeks to ...get number 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment