Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Golfing With Doug

So, one of the things I do up here is play golf. This is an activity which I have ironically almost given up back home, but up here all I have is time to do whatever I want, and how great is it to walk 18 holes without breaking a sweat? I play early in the morning when its normally in the low 60’s, and I’m finished by 9:30. I mean seriously…there’s no excuse not to play. 

My golf course of choice is the delightful Rockland Golf Club. They are always accommodating with sending me out first thing in the morning and they have really nice rental clubs. The ones I had today were brand new. Back in Richmond, Doug Greenwood is always ragging on me for playing with 30 year old clubs. “Why don’t you try playing with golf clubs made after the Reagan administration,” he always says. Well, after today I must say that he has a point. These clubs were amazing…





However, the day began with a bad omen. Since I don’t bring my own golf gear along on this trip I have to not only rent clubs but also buy tees and balls. I usually buy whatever is the course ball in the big basket on the counter….



Chaos proved to be an apt description of my round. Started off with a huge drive off the first tee, followed by three consecutive fat irons, ending with an inglorious 7. I spent the entire round trying to figure out these new fangled irons, finally discovering that I needed to choke up a full inch. Once I did that I consistently hit almost every one of them a mile…only problem was each shot was ten to fifteen yards over the intended target! 



Yes, as a matter of fact I did have 23 putts on the back nine and 40 for the round. It was not the fault of the very stylish and brand new putter, more like user error. Alert golfers will notice that I only hit four fairways and seven greens. In other words, I did what I do best…scrambled. Hit some of the most amazing recovering shots from some of the worst places ever! Had a blast though. It should also be noted that I started the round with five golf balls and played the last two holes with the last of them. If you’re keeping score at home that’s four penalty strokes! Chaos indeed!

A couple more observations about life in Maine. 

First, every crossroads that calls itself a “town” up here has one of these…



The General Store. In Maine it always includes a kitchen that makes pizza, baked goods like whoopie pies, and Italian sandwiches. The one in this picture is in Hope, Maine. But there are plenty others close by. The towns of Searsmont, Union, Lincolnville Center, Belmont, Owl’s Head, and Morrill all have their own. The sandwiches and pizza they make are amazingly good. In fact, I’m picking up one tonight from the Fraternity General Store in Searsmont for dinner. 

Another thing, most people when they think of the Maine coast thing of the rocky shores and lighthouses and such. What most don’t realize is how mountainous it is here, so close to the ocean. I took this picture on the drive home from playing golf today not five miles from our lake house…


This is the view from Moody Mountain. Somewhere out there is the lake.

One more thing. Pam decided to take Lucy along with her on a paddle board trip all the way across the lake. That long house in the distance is a place we call the Dance Hall and its probably a third of a mile over there. 





When Lucy returned she was hardly even breathing hard! She is a water baby like none other.




No comments:

Post a Comment