Thursday, August 4, 2022

Reward the Things You Want More Of

As I get older, I have developed an intolerance for mean people. Rudeness and condescension bother me more than they used to. People who have known me the longest might suggest that I used to be rude and condescending at times, and they would be right! I like to think that with age and maturity, along with the help of the Holy Spirit I have been able to eliminate some of my earlier habits. Still, there are times when I can be dismissive and rude, but when it happens I immediately recognize it and apologize. But this blog is not about me, its about the roll that manners play in the business world. For me it trumps almost everything else. Let me give a couple of examples.

In Camden there are lots of gift shops. Some cater to higher end tastes and wallets, some feature kitschy stuff. Our favorite has always been The Smiling Cow. But…why? They aren’t the cheapest. They aren’t the biggest with the most variety. So, what is it? Its simple really…friendly, courteous people. Each time we walk through the doors of that place we are treated by smiling, happy people, eager to help us find what we need. If they are out of something they offer to order it for us. A couple of weeks ago I went in to buy a load of stuff for Pam’s 60th birthday. As I was piling it up on the counter, the owner, Meg, says, “Is this for Pam’s 60th? You cant just give her this stuff in a bag. Let us wrap these up nice for her. Leave them here, come back in 30 minutes and they will be ready.” I did and they were, beautifully wrapped in gorgeous paper. I’m not even sure she charged me because I never look at a receipt anymore. That’s another thing, we can get some of the same things a few doors down at one of their competitors for less money. We hardly ever shop there because the people who ring up your order look like they hate nothing more than having to deal with me. “Oh great…another customer!” The difference is like night and day. I’m done doing business with rude people. If I have to pay a little more, so be it.

There are also more than a couple lake house rental operations in town. We have used several of them, but once we found On The Water In Maine, we found our place. The other guys feature a process that eliminates personal interaction. You pick up a packet at the office where nobody is ever there. All interaction is via email and automated telephone service. By contrast, OTWIM has the most adorable office you’ve ever seen, with people who’s purpose in life seems to me my happiness and enjoyment of Maine. If and when something goes wrong—washing machine marks up the clothes, gas grill grate is rusted over—a solution shows up at your door within minutes of your call it seems. There’s no arguing back and forth, they just fix it! They appreciate our business and want us to remain customers forever, so they do whatever it takes. Wouldn’t you rather have that than being able to save a few bucks with someone you don’t even know?

I want to do business with good people, with people who appreciate me, folks who take pride in what they do. Everyone from the guy I rent kayaks from—Dan the Kayak Man with Ducktrap Kayaks, to the place where I buy t-shirts and hats. I want good people to prosper. The price? Who cares?! The difference between price and value is the difference between a relationship and a mere economic transaction. Shop where the people know your name. Use chain stores as a last resort. Reward the kind of behavior you drill into your kids, kindness and courtesy. There’s plenty of it out there, if you know where to look!

No comments:

Post a Comment