Sunday, February 13, 2022

Super Bowl Thoughts

I have an on-again, off-again relationship with professional football. Sometimes I watch, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I care, most of the time, I don’t. I much prefer the college game because it’s more fun. The professional version is too often consumed with Rushmore-sized egos and political preachiness for my tastes. However, like most Americans, I pay attention to the Super Bowl. This year, especially so because of one player…Joe Burrow.

My introduction to the NFL happened when I was eleven years old and this super cool, swaggering quarterback named Joe Namath guaranteed a victory. He played for the New York Jets, perhaps the biggest underdog in the history of the SB. The Baltimore Colts were better at practically every position, so Namath’s cocky guarantee was all that anyone was talking about in the days leading up to the game, and I was mesmerized. Well, Joe pulled it off and became a legend. Now, another Joe is on the scene and although he hasn’t guaranteed anything, he has the swagger, the cool, and the talent. It’s all very Namath-esk. He even has the same swag…




So, for today, I am a Bengal fan because of Joe Burrow. The Rams are a better team. They should win going away. But, there’s something about this kid that tells me to watch the game. Something special might be about to happen.

Plus, I will be pulling for the Bengals because they are playing a team from…Los Angeles. Why is it that I so detest any team from Tinsle-Town? It’s the city of Stars. It’s where every athlete with a big ego wants to play. The Rams are a team loaded with stars, but so is every other professional team from LA. The Lakers, the Dodgers…all full of big stars. I hate it. Like everything else from the west coast it seems fake, contrived and artificial. Ram fans have the attention span of jellyfish. They are in the stands up until the minute when they get distracted by whatever new thing turns their heads. Half of them probably became fans like ten minutes ago. All the beautiful people will get screen time during the broadcast today. The announcers will gush, “Many stars out tonight, Bob. There’s Ben Afflack. Oh..and is that J-Lo?” Sure enough, there she will be sipping her mimosa from the luxury of her private suite—the quintessential football image from the City of Angels. Barf…

Yeah, so…GO JOE!  

Bengals 31
Rams 28



No comments:

Post a Comment