Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Other Countries I Like

Lately, it has become fashionable to speak of American decline. It’s hard to scan any news publication these days without seeing some opinion piece about America’s impending crack up. Frankly, much of the talk is well deserved. By almost any measure, we are a hot mess at the moment. Sometimes, I try to imagine what I would think of America if I was from somewhere else, anywhere else. People around the world must look at us and think, what the hell? But, I’m not from somewhere else. For better or for worse, I’m an American. Despite all of the tumult and chaos that comes with my citizenship, I deeply love this place. Whenever I hear people talk about giving up their citizenship and moving to Canada or some such thing I think, what a moron. I mean, for goodness sake, Nancy...man up!! 

Anyway, this blog is not about being an American in 2020. Rather, its about the exact opposite. I feel the need to reassure the rest of the world that we are not, in fact...insane. We are just going through a phase, not unlike a rebellious toddler or a petulant teenager. Compared to most of the rest of the world, we are the equivalent of a teenager...in nation years. 244 years old is quite young for a nation-state these days. My message to the rest of the world is, be patient with us. Soon, we will get our driver’s license and be out of your hair!

No, this blog is about one American’s admiration for other countries out there in the world. I’m not as well travelled as I would like to be. I’ve visited probably a half dozen other countries during my life, a number I hope to at least double before I assume room temperature. But as a history lover and voracious reader, I consider myself more knowledgeable about the nations of the world than the average bear. As a result, I have developed opinions about other places. There are nations of the world which I am kindly disposed to for reasons of language, culture and history. And since everyone loves...lists...I have composed a list of the countries around the world that I admire the most, the places that I hold in the highest regard. These are the nations and the people among whom I would choose to live if I had to for some reason. I present them here in no particular order or rank, along with the reasons for my fondness:

1. Australia

A beautiful place. Stunning, in fact. I love the fact that it is...down under, literally down there at the bottom of the survivable world. I love their accents, the ruggedness and vastness of the land. I love how the entire place was started as a penal colony, a place for British crooks to go to live out their sentences. And now look at them! Amazing.

2. The British Isles

I use this formulation, despite how it would surely rile those who actually live there. Yes, I know that England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are four different places with very different traditions etc...but for me they will always be connected. As an American, I feel indebted to this great island, for their rule of law, their language, hell...the Magna Carta for goodness sake. Not to mention Shakespeare! 

3. Canada

Although you couldn’t pay me enough money to actually, you know, live there, if there are nicer people anywhere in the world, I can’t imagine who they would be. The world could use a heavy dose of Canadian manners at the moment. These are easily the best neighbors any modern nation could ask for, educated, prosperous, and unlike their noisy southern neighbors, they never stick their noses in other people’s business! If it just wasn’t so stinking cold!!

4. Italy

Never been, one of greatest personal failings of my life so far. Their history is vast. They once controlled the world for 1500 consecutive years, people! Today, and for most of my lifetime their government has been a feckless mess, they of the 2897 prime ministers in the fifty years after WWII. But, good lord in heaven the food, the scenery, the romance. The fluidity and beauty of their language alone would be worth living there for at least a year! Architecture? History? Are you kidding me? What a country!

5. New Zealand

A country roughly the size of California with the population of Los Angeles...without the smog and celebrity nonsense that comes with the City of Angels. Ruggedly beautiful countryside combined with an educated and productive people, and plenty of room to stretch out. Sign me up!

6. Germany

I know, I know. It’s hard to warm up to Germanic tribes. The Kaiser, Adolph Hitler and the World Wars that flowed from Bismarck's spawn and all that. But still, Germany fascinates me. I’m fascinated by their tenacity, their efficiency and their remarkable ability to regenerate themselves from not one but two devastating humiliations in the past one hundred years, to now once again dominate the European continent. And, of course, there’s the matter of Ludwig Von Beethoven!

There are more on my list, but I’ve got to go to work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment