Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Blue Lights

Last night, Pam and I met our small group over at the new Hope Thrift store in Belgrade for the last time before we head out to Maine. Love those people so much. So, this week we continued this video series we’ve been going through on the subject of Race Relations and the Gospel. In it, two pastors, one black and one white, discuss their different experiences on the matter and try to find common ground centered around what our faith teaches. This week the topic was the very different perspectives whites and blacks often have with regards to the police. A lively discussion was had about this contentious topic, in the midst of which we offered our various experiences of when we have been pulled over by the cops. Jokes were made about how some of us have had much more experience with this than others! How much of what we have all seen in cell phone videos of encounters with the police could have been avoided with following the police officers instructions, hands where he can see them, “yes sir, no sir”, that sort of thing. There was disagreement in our group. That’s ok. We all agreed that when someone winds up dead, shot in the back, this is never an acceptable outcome.

And so...since this is 2020, on my way home, this happened:


As I alluded to earlier, I have had more than my fair share of encounters with the thin blue line in my life. But, its been a while. Let’s just say that I am not the most meticulous rule follower who ever lived when I happen to be behind the wheel. There I was, fully engaged in an in depth conversation about race and the police with my wife who, when she wants to be, is a fascinating conversationalist. Just as I exited the Willey Bridge, I saw the sudden flash of those sinister blue lights from the darkness of the median. In that instant I glanced down at my dash and saw the number 60. Busted!  Pam and I both could not help stifling a laugh. 

I pulled over and rolled down the window, placed my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and awaited my fate. It’s interesting that in all the times I have ever been pulled over I have never once wondered why? I have always known that I was guilty of something because...well...I’m me. Anyway, One of Henrico County’s finest walks up to the window, identifies himself and informs me that the reason he has pulled me over is because he clocked me doing 61 in a 45 mile per hour zone and he was going to have to issue me a citation. I handed him my drivers license and car registration. He was wearing a mask, which I thought was ironic. I had to fight the impulse to make a wisecrack like, “Whoa, I thought only bad guys wore masks!”, but the last thing you want to do when pulled over by the police is make jokes at their expense, so I thought better of it. The officer was professional, even courteous. He explained everything about the citation, etc.. and in no time we were on our way. Pam texted the group to fill them all in on the ironic ending to our night. Several cracks were made about my red Cadillac and obvious white privileged etc...hardy har har!

But, you know what? When those blue lights went on, just like every other time they have in my life, it never entered my mind that my life might be in danger. Never once. I have never been pulled over for the crime of driving around in the wrong neighborhood, or being in a car with a woman of another race. I have no experience with the emotions that must race through the minds of some African Americans when they see those blue lights. To the extent that any segment of our society fears that a routine encounter with law enforcement might possible cost them their lives is a tragedy. It’s unacceptable and we have got to figure out a way to stop it from happening.

The police officer on the Willey Bridge was the consummate professional and he was doing his job. I was speeding and he pulled me over because it’s his job to enforce the law. I treated him with respect because he wears a badge and I acknowledge his authority over me on the highway. But, if he had violated his authority in any way in his treatment of me it would have been a different story. I am a citizen endowed by the constitution with certain unalienable rights. Not only am I expected to obey the law, so is that officer. If either of us don’t there should be consequences. That’s not pro-police or anti-police. That’s pro rule of law.

So, I will be sure to pay my speeding ticket fine before January 27, 2021. No, I will NOT appear in court. No, I will NOT attend driver’s school. Puhleeze!!


No comments:

Post a Comment