Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Speaking of Great Books…

 New Year’s day, I spent three hours alone in my office cleaning out the clutter. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t like to leave anything on my desk when I go home each day so throughout the year, lots of stuff accumulates in every drawer of my desk and credenza. This year it was three tall kitchen bags full since I haven’t purged in several years. In the middle of this project I came across something that’s been with me in that office for nearly 30 years. For some reason I dropped everything and sat there staring at it wondering where the years have gone…


My daughter was five years old when she made this for me for Father’s Day. Her Mom helped her with the words since she could hardly write legibly at that point. But the story and the drawings were all her. The plot was simple enough. She was out to prove the title of this book with examples of my awesomeness…


I can attest to the accuracy of her account. I, in fact, did play the guitar for them often during bath time. Back in those days, this amounted to the sum total of quality time I had with them. I was working my tail off trying to provide for them the best I could in a business that offered zero guarantees, so I wasn’t with them very much. Bath time was wonderful.


Yes, I did. This probably explains the chronic back pain I suffer from to this day. But, what fun this was!


You might be wondering why I have kept this little book close to me all these years. Maybe in the darkest corner of my mind I think, Well, when I die and if it turns out that salvation comes from works after all, I’ll hand this to Saint Peter! 



Correct. I always gave them treats when they visited me at the office, because it was always the highlight of my day and cause for celebration.



I’m sure this particular aspect of the story will be troubling to my younger readers. I must confess that I did tell my kids some pretty terrifying stories. Some of them might have been a tad too graphic for five year olds. But, the moral of the stories was always the same—the world is full of danger, bad people and things, and the best way to live your life is with both eyes wide open…and never stray too far from your Dad because he and he alone can save the day. 


This might be the only embellishment in her account. The word always there is doing some serious heavy lifting in that sentence.



This is my favorite part of her story. My Dad told me once that the best thing I could ever do for my children was to love their mother. He was right.



But that doesn’t mean you have to share everything with Mom. These special treats of which she speaks were often just between the two of us!




So, there you have it. One of the finest works of literature you will ever read. Only one copy known to exist and it belongs to me.









No comments:

Post a Comment