Thursday, July 6, 2023

Freaking Poker Game!!

The weather here has turned sunny and fair for the last couple of days and this has been the occasion of much celebration here at vacation central. With the appearance of the sun our schedule becomes dominated by the lake. We spend almost all of our time either in it, on it, or gazing at it. What follows are just a few examples.

Around 6:00 am I took my morning coffee on the dock with Lucy who patiently waited for me to stop Lolly-gagging around and start fishing already. This was my view…


By 9:00 or so I was ready to head out in the kayak for a more serious fishing excursion a mile and a half north of our dock. Shortly after heading out I encountered a traffic jam when I met up with this beautiful woman…


Incidentally, the White House in the background of this photograph has been a consistent irritant to me ever since its construction several years ago. We have watched it’s progress each year with a mixture of admiration and resentment. Because it sits on an island, most of the heavy work gets done in the winter when the lake freezes over and heavy loads of lumber and such can be driven across the surface of the water by truck. The final result of all the work is a fine house with commanding views. The thing that sticks in my craw however is the way in which the owner of this house came about obtaining the large parcel of land where his lovely house rests—he won it in a poker game. I must admit to a small degree of bitterness at this mindless, haphazard stroke of luck. Every time I paddle by the place I mumble to myself, “freaking poker game!!” But, what’s done is done.

At this point I feel it necessary to introduce a new physical ailment that has visited my rapidly deteriorating body. I think there might be something wrong with my left hip. Whenever I find it necessary to sit down for anything longer than thirty minutes, like driving long distances or fishing from a kayak, the offending hip begins to protest rather violently. The pain is quite intense and gets progressively worse the longer I go. So yesterday’s two and a half hour expedition was a very bad idea—a literal pain in my ass. Half way in I had to find a spot to park the kayak so I could go for a swim in the cold water. Had I not I doubt I would have made it back to the dock. So, for the rest of my time here I will limit my fishing paddles to less than two hours and will make generous use of muscle relaxers, heating pads, and this nifty device I got for Christmas…



Even in THIS picture, the Poker House mocks me!

But, enough about me! On lake days I have a steadfast companion. Miss Lucy had a day of days yesterday. She swam about all morning at Pam’s side as Pam took the paddle board out for a spin. She literally never tires of swimming. Could stay out there all day if we let her, and we nearly did. Later in the afternoon  we took the swim floats out and Lucy came out with us stopping every now and then to rest her head on my float so she could let her paws hang free in the water. She then closes her eyes and lays there taking a snoozle while I scratch her head. Finally after a very long day of great fun she laid down on the dock looking like a furry life guard…


Around 5:30, we drove into Camden for dinner at Sea Dog and ice cream at Riverducks. Our food and our view at dinner was first rate, and Riverducks never disappoints…


Who knows what today will bring?













No comments:

Post a Comment