Thursday, April 7, 2022

What a Day!

What a day this is going to be! Its baseball’s Opening Day, and the first round of the Masters.

First, baseball.



There are two teams for all of us to hate, the Yankees and the Dodgers and largely for the same reason—huge market, bloated payroll, and lineups of the biggest stars money can buy. At the other end of the spectrum you have my Washington Nationals who traded away their best pitcher and second best position player last year for prospects. Our lineup this year features Juan Soto, the best hitter in baseball, and a collection of has-beens and never was’. Nevertheless, on April 7th everyone is in first place. Maybe all the stars will be aligned, maybe Strasberg comes back better than ever. Maybe Patrick Corbin can throw strikes. Maybe Nelson Cruz becomes the first player in baseball history to hit 40 home runs after becoming eligible for Social Security. Maybe Victor Robles learns how to hit. If not, it will be fun watching Juan Soto walk 175 times.

Now, The Masters.




The 2022 version is all about Tiger Woods and frankly, it should be. The fact that he is even playing at all is a miracle. The idea that after nearly losing his leg 17 months ago, the dude thinks not only that he can compete, but that he can walk Augusta National is beyond my comprehension. I have walked that course as a spectator and it wore me out. I was sore for two days! Its easily the hilliest golf course I have ever seen. But this is Tiger Woods we’re talking about. What do I think will happen? I don’t think he will make the cut. What will happen? I would put absolutely nothing past him, but I will say that if Tiger Woods wins the Masters, it will be the most miraculous athletic accomplishment in the history of sport. If he even makes the cut, the debate over who is the best golfer of all time will be over for me. Will I be watching on Sunday if Tiger is in contention? Are you kidding? Me and 100 million other people around the world!

Other agenda items for Thursday, April 7, Day five of the week of my birthday.



A workout featuring sit-ups, pushups and various exercises with 15 pound dumbbells. A 3 mile run. A writing session for the novel I’m working on. Paying April’s first half bills. A full house vacuuming session.

…life on the razor’s edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment