Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Thrilled!!

In the eleven year history of this blog, I don’t believe I have ever been as thrilled about any news story as I am about the colossal ass-whipping that Ukraine is administering to their Russian invaders. Seriously, every morning when I read about the latest heroic stand and see pictures of mangled and smoking Russian tanks I am nearly overcome with what I can only describe as joy. This is nothing less than the most shocking David and Goliath story since…well, David and Goliath. And now comes word that the Ukrainian army has taken the fight into Russian territory by blowing up a huge ammo dump. I nearly cried at this news this morning at 4:30.

Look, I know I shouldn’t feel this way. My Christian faith informs me that I should never rejoice in death and destruction. It is not charitable to react with unrestrained glee at the deaths of young men, all of whom have mothers who love them as much as I love my own kids. But, if I’m honest, there is a part of my heart and soul which hungers for justice. Its the same feeling that overcomes me when I hear of a guilty verdict for someone who victimized the weak, someone who preyed on the elderly or the infirm. It’s righteous vindication.

I watched for months the accumulation of Russian arms and men on Ukraine’s border. The numbers were scary, the Ukrainians would be so overmatched, like the pitiful Polish Cavalry on horseback trying to fight back against Nazi tanks during Blitzkrieg in 1939. But, ladies and gentlemen, I am here to tell you that these Ukrainians aren’t the Poles of 1939. They aren’t the French of 1940. These people are the Brits during the Battle of Britain…overwhelmed, outnumbered and surrounded, and defiantly pushing back against the most egregious land grab of my lifetime. It’s the most inspiring thing I’ve witnessed since the birth of my children.

And yes…I’m thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment