Friday, December 3, 2021

End of the Line

For several days recently I have had a song stuck in my head. While usually this would be an occasion of great annoyance, since most of the time songs that get stuck in your head are of the Granda Got Run Over By a Reindeer variety. But the tune bouncing around inside my head at the moment brings nothing but warmth and happiness to me. It has been one of my favorite songs since it was released in 1988. The melody is endearing, the lyrics inspired, and the gentlemen who recorded it are all legends. The song is End of The Line by the Traveling Wilburys.

It was written almost exclusively by George Harrison, but in keeping with the spirit of the band, everyone received a song writing credit, making it perhaps the most credentialed single every released, it being very hard to go wrong with a song written by: George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty.

The tune is joyful and optimistic. It skips along almost whimsically, dragging you kicking and screaming away from your foul mood. Its the kind of song I want played at my funeral, since it gives off a distinct and unmistakable vibe…look, I know life can be hard sometimes, but chill out man…

But, its the lyrics of this song that capture my imagination. With the repeated mantra, “well, it’s alright”, the song sets out to prove that it’s true.

Well, it’s alright, ridin’ around in the breeze
Well, it’s alright, if you live the live you please
Well, it’s alright, doin’ the best you can
Well, it’s alright, as long as you lend a hand

Nice to be reminded that part of the good life is helping others.

Don’t have to be ashamed of the car I drive (at the end of the line)
I’m happy to be here, happy to be alive (at the end of the line)
And it don’t matter if you’re by my side (at the end of the line)
I’m satisfied.

I’m just happy to be here, to be alive…a reminder of an eternal truth—being grateful leads to being happy.

Well, it’s alright, even if you’re old and grey
Well, it’s alright, you still got something to say
Well, it’s alright, remember to live and let live
Well, it’s alright, the best you can do is forgive

I think I might have just gone to church.



No comments:

Post a Comment