Monday, June 22, 2020

Nothing To See Here, Move Along, Folks...

This is the week we’ve waited for all year. This is Go Week. Pam has laid out the battle plan...


Now all we have to do is execute.

I’ve got a lot to get buttoned up at the office, last minute things to get wrapped up. Maine is so close now I can taste it. This, being 2020, allows for the opportunity that some last second catastrophe, geo-political earthquake, or meteor attack might come out of nowhere to thwart our plans to leave Short Pump. If it does, this will be me...



So, last night I received FaceTime calls from Patrick and Sarah, Kaitlin and Jon wishing me a happy Father’s Day. These are the four people who make me a father. Of course I share fathering duties with Andy Upchurch and Robert Manchester for my daughter and son in law, but I view both of them as my kids too. That’s the way it works in my family, once you’re in, you’re in all the way, like it or not! The hardest part of being a parent these days is being apart from them. I envy my friends who’s kids all live either in the same city, or at least the same State. They can pop in for dinner, or drop by for lunch. We have to sit close together and stare into a jumpy computer screen at their digital faces. Hugging a laptop leaves a lot to be desired, I’ve learned. But in July we will spend 10 days with Kaitlin and Jon, 7 days with Patrick and Sarah, and 4 glorious days all together in our favorite place in the whole world. There will be great food, much kayaking, swimming and canoeing on the lake, many sunsets to watch from the dock, and fires to sit around while solving all the problems of the world. There will be no Fox News, no CNN, no Drudge Report. If something horrendous (notice the hopeful “if”)happens, the readers of this blog will have to inform me, since we will be unplugged. I will continue to provide dispatches from paradise via The Tempest. 

96 hours and counting.

Tick Tock...








No comments:

Post a Comment