Friday, June 12, 2020

My Missing Opinions

Preparing to leave your life behind for a month takes a lot of planning, coordination and hard work. It’s not easy to walk away from a business for a month. So, generally speaking, the weeks leading up to a month long vacation are jam packed with the tyranny of the urgent sort of things. That’s where I’m at now. I know, I know...poor, poor, pitiful me, right? The only reason I bring this up is as explanation for why I have been largely silent on a number of momentous, if bizarre, topics in the news of late. I have withheld comment mostly because I haven’t had the time to do enough research to comment intelligently, but partially because I’m tired of opinions of any kind. 

Looking back over what I just wrote there is a totally unintended joke hiding in that last paragraph. “I haven’t had time to do enough research to comment intelligently.” Holy crap, that’s hilarious. This is 2020 social media...since when is research a prerequisite for anything?

Be that as it may, I’m old school enough to think that I should at least dig a bit deeper than a meme-level understanding of a topic before I dive in with a take. Therefore, I have had nothing to say about:

Defund The Police

Seattle’s Autonomous Zone

The wholesale tearing down of monuments by night in my city and other cities around the country and indeed the world.

I’m not likely to write about any of these things in detail anytime soon. We leave exactly two weeks from today, so time for reflection will be in short supply. Once I get to Maine, a blessed cone of silence will descend over me, which will allow very little extraneous interference in. There will be no television. No newspapers except the Village Soup and the Camden Herald, the two local beacons of all news that’s fit to print. Yes, I will have internet, but mostly that will be used to keep a lifeline of connection to my business and clients open, in case of emergencies. Occasionally, especially during then first few days of adjustment, I will follow world events via my cell phone. But as the days go by and Maine begins to sink its talons into me, I will lose interest in anything that doesn’t involve fishing, swimming, eating, writing and the grandeur of God’s creation. So, that doesn’t leave a lot of time to form opinions. Consequently, the world might have to get along without Doug Dunnevant’s view of whether or not defunding the police is just another groovy revolutionary-chic catch phrase typical of the loopy left, or actually an idea with public policy merit. 

Somehow, I believe that the Republic will survive without this Blogger’s insights.


No comments:

Post a Comment