Tuesday, August 20, 2024

A Morning at the Hospital

Hospitals hold a special place in our hearts. They are at once a place of life and death. They are places filled with highly skilled doctors, nurses and technicians who have the power to perform miracles, to literally rescue us from the grip of death. But they also stand aside helplessly when their skills can’t overcome the relentless power of disease. These talented men and women break the wonderful news to us that we have given birth to beautiful healthy babies. They also tell anguished wives and husbands that there was nothing they could do. No wonder they keep making television shows about hospitals. It’s the place where our stories begin and end.

My hospital story wasn’t nearly so dramatic. I arrived at 6:00 am and left at 10:00am, but those four hours produced quite a few life long memories. The first one concerned an elderly black man who was rolled in to the registration office by a van driver. The man was quite old and obviously didn’t know where he was. The conversation between the driver and the admissions clerk played out for all to hear. The old man was from a nearby nursing home. The driver’s only job was to deliver him for an unknown procedure. There was no family with him, no friends, just a confused old man who could hardly speak above a whisper. I watched this unfold with my wife sitting close beside me, knowing that there were literally dozens of people out in the world praying for me, people from all over the place who know and love me. The old man had no one. It was one of the saddest things I had ever witnessed. To be old and sick is one thing and plenty bad enough. But to be old, sick and alone is far worse and about as tragic as the end of life gets. Even as I sit here writing this ten hours later I can’t get the man out of my head.

Eventually I was wheeled back into a room where a cheerful, smiling nurse spent 45 minutes getting me prepared for my Cardiac catheterization. This involved lots of patches, wires and needles and she never stopped talking while she worked, telling me every detail about what it was she was up to. It was kind of like a radio play-by-play man at a baseball game. I found the information soothing, if not very helpful by way of explanation, it was the sound of her voice that was the important part. She exuded confidence. Confidence is good, especially when one of things she was up to involved shaving particularly private sections of the human anatomy. That’s another peculiar thing about hospitals. There is absolutely no place or reason for modesty.

I was then whisked around several hallways and one elevator ride to an extremely cold operating room where three cheerful women sat about setting me up for my procedure, all the while completely ignoring me. Their ongoing banter concerned the status of a friend’s recent disastrous first date with some guy he had met on Grindr. One of them managed to introduce herself to me with the line, “Mr. Dunnevant, I will be your bartender today.” She smiled and I think I did too, but shortly after this brief exchange my level of consciousness started waffling back and forth between detached and dead to the world. Time ceased to exist in this nebulous state of semi-awareness. I saw a gigantic screen with circles and streaks of white. I heard the murmur of voices speaking some unknown tongue. I saw an image of the old black man slumped in his wheelchair, then the muffled voice of the doctor, his mask-covered face close to mine telling me that everything went well. 

Then it was back to the prep room and my play-by-play nurse who spent the next two hours interrupting my sleep every fifteen minutes to make some kind of adjustment to the small incision on my wrist. The next thing I know she’s wheeling me out to the circular driveway where Pam is waiting for me in my red Cadillac.

The outcome was very good. There were no blockages, no need for stents. I can now officially stop worrying about my heart, a huge blessing for which I am extremely grateful. I come out of this experience grateful for a great many things—healthcare workers, nurses, doctors, and the miracle of modern medicine. And yes…for hospitals.

But the last thing I will think about before I fall asleep tonight will be that old black man in the wheelchair. I need to give him a name. I feel like he needs to be known, that somebody needs to give a damn about him. His name will be…Emmett. It was all a terrible miscommunication. His family—wife, sons and daughters were told the wrong hospital. They showed up at St. Mary’s. As soon as the mistake was caught, they all showed up in the waiting room and gathered around him before he went for his treatment. 

That’s the story I choose to believe, and when I pray for him tonight I will also pray for his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment