Friday, July 16, 2021

A Rare Sick Day

Over the past ten years or so, Pam and I have spent approximately 9 months cumulatively in Maine. In all of that time I can count on one hand the number of days I have not felt well. Yesterday was one of those days. There have been plenty of times when I have had minor accidents up here, falling down rocks while hiking, falling through a broken plank on a dock, that sort of thing…but sick…hardly ever.

Yesterday started with a workout. I did some light dumbbell work, then went for a 3.4 mile run. It was cloudy out and a cool 60 degrees but for Maine…very humid. I wore a long sleeve black t-shirt to protect against biting flies, which was probably a stupid idea since I was carrying my cool bug zapper racket thing. By the time I made it back to the house I was dripping in sweat so I ran down to the dock and jumped in the lake and immediately felt refreshed. However, later in the day after some very mild exertion I felt suddenly clammy and light headed. For the rest of the day the dizziness persisted, and was accompanied by a headache that never quite went away until I went to sleep last night. This morning I feel totally fine, completely back to normal.

Here’s the thing though…every time something like this happens, the slightest irregularity in anything health related, Pam starts worrying that it might be my heart. That’s because 18 years ago I underwent emergency open heart surgery to repair a damaged mitral valve that I wasn’t aware I had until it almost killed me. And although I have had not one single heart related problem since, its still the first thought that pops into your head when anything goes south health wise. I suppose thats a natural response. Major surgery like that is impossible to forget. Every time I get dressed in the morning I see the faded eight inch scar in the middle of my chest. At first it looked like a horrible gash that would never heal. Now I hardly notice it anymore. But, its still there and always will be. To be honest, every time I see it I feel thankful that it happened. That terrifying experience changed the trajectory of my life, slowed me down, changed my perspective and altered my priorities. Its funny how the possibility of dying at 45 changes your idea of what the good life actually is. My plans of becoming a gazillionaire vaporized overnight. My notions of personal empire building suddenly seemed embarrassingly vain. So yeah, I’m actually grateful for that horrible day in April of 2003. Having said that, I have no desire whatsoever to revisit the experience. Which, ironically, is why I was out running 3.4 miles in thick humidity while on vacation. It’s also why I do stupid things like this…


Yeah, so a few days ago I took off in my kayak for a little fishing jaunt to a new spot I’ve discovered just above the 1 mile mark on this map. I caught several beautiful bass and was feeling quite cocky when the idea popped into my head to attempt the entire northern loop while I was out. It was a beautiful day, why not? The problem started when the light and variable winds turned on me around the 2 mile mark. Now I was rowing in choppy water. At this point, a smarter  more responsible person would have considered aborting his plans to complete the northern loop. Unfortunately, there were no smart responsible people in my kayak. I soldiered on. 3 hours and 40 minutes after I left the cabin, I finally made it back with a world class case of cramped muscles. But, to hear Pam tell it, this is the sort of thing I always do. Which, I suppose is why she worries so much, bless her heart.

But, this morning, all is well. I’ve got an idea…maybe tomorrow I’ll try a mini iron man thing…run a 5K then jump in the lake a swim a mile!! I mean…what could go wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment