Monday, August 31, 2020

Some Inspiration For a Monday Morning

Today was supposed to be the day that my friend had reconstructive surgery. She had been preparing herself mentally, emotionally and physically for this day for months. So, because this is 2020, last night, while she was outside watering her plants she gets a call advising her that her surgeon has come down with something that might be COVID and is consequently quarantined for two weeks!! One more blow in a long and relentless series of blows that she has been forced to endure. This morning, we talked about it. I was nervous. I didn’t know quite what to say. I had no idea what kind of state she would be in after pondering it all night. Here’s what happened:

Me: Morning!

Pam: Good morning 

Me: ..stupid COVID

Pam: I know Johnny was disappointed too but I try to look at it this way... maybe it was Gods blessing or protection from something.  I just had chemo last Thursday.  It’s a lot for me body to endure.

Me: Thats true. I wasn’t too crazy about you having surgery so soon after chemo. Now you’ve got a couple weeks to get stronger.

Pam: I know so this gives me a week to rest. PTL.  I have a colonoscopy next Wednesday and echocardiogram on Thursday.  9 th an 10th so this week I plan on resting.

Me: I just hate this!!

Pam: Me too!   I was hoping to get this week an next behind me, chemo on 17th an then one more chemo on Oct 8   Now this puts everything 2 or more weeks behind so it will be late October before I’m through. But the end is in sight.

Me: Sometimes I think it would help me if you just lost it every once in a while and started screaming obscenities at me. I know that sounds stupid...but it’s true. Its all so unfair. I don’t understand why God is allowing this to happen to someone like you. I know that God’s ways aren’t our ways and all that but still...it makes me angry.

Pam: Lol won’t happen not my nature. I believe something good will come of it one day. I do a lot of walking an talking to God  and that’s how I hold myself together.

Me: Maybe there’s a reason I got involved in this...maybe he’s trying to teach me something. Who knows?

Pam: You never know.  I agree why in the world would you an me be talking every day for over a year.  Eventually we will know!   I appreciate you an all you have done more than you will ever know!...On a lighter note one of my neighbors brought me an Asian pear cake last night. OMG!!!  I bet I ate 3 pieces last night while slicing it to be stored in a Tupperware container.... already had a slice this morning.  So I am headed out for a morning walk to try and erase some of the damage I have done to my body. Happy Monday my friend to God be the glory!   Great things He has done!!!

Me: THAT’S IT!!! That’s why the surgery was cancelled!! So you could get the curative powers of Asian pear cake in your system!!!

Pam: 🙌🙌so I should eat more??

Me: YES! Oh..and you’re a pig. Three pieces while you were cutting it up??? Oink!

Pam: Yes horrible I know.  We never have cake in our home.  Johnny is a type 2 diabetic.  Sugar feeds cancer too so I never make them. Love cake,  pie, ice cream, milk shakes anything bad I love it.

Me: Well, that may be true, but when was the last time you had a neighbor show up at the door with a plate of asparagus?...“Here, I know you’re battling cancer so I thought you would like some vegetables!”

Pam: LOL! Exactly!!

And, just like that, she’s off to battle another day. She will go for her walk, talk with God, find her bearings, and keep grinding.




No comments:

Post a Comment