Saturday, April 7, 2018

A Relaxing Week

It’s a delightful 64 degrees here in Myrtle Beach at 7:30 in the morning. By the time we get on the road, it will be 70. Five hours later, when we pull into beautiful downtown Short Pump, I’m told to expect 40 degrees with a hard drizzle, to be followed by snow overnight. And just like that...our vacation is over.

No complaints from me though. I’ve had a wonderful week. We’ve had not one drop of rain, and although it’s been a bit windy and cooler than we would have preferred, there’s been abundant sunshine and the relentless sound of the surf...a marvelous combination. Here are some highlights from our week:

A FaceTime date with my son and his fiancée where the talk was all about wedding plans. The two of them seem to have things well in hand. There are a few complications to iron out, but by and large the kids are doing quite well. They seemed excited and expectant, not overwhelmed.

My birthday celebration was quite fun. My wife showered me with practically a brand new wardrobe. I believe the quote was something  like...Just because you’ve turned 60 doesn’t mean you have to look 60. So, I am now resplendent in several new outfits that I am assured make me look younger!

Got to spend a couple of days with my daughter. She gave me some presents and an incredibly moving birthday card/postcard which I have previously written about. It was nice to hear her laughter and listen to her voice for 48 hours.

I walked on at the closest golf course I could find...Possum Trot...and was immediately teamed with two flat-bellied 20 somethings who were waiting for me on the first tee without so much as a practice swing. I hadn’t swung a golf club in anger since the previous September in Maine. To my great surprise and satisfaction, I hit the ball very well, kept up with the kids with a respectable 85, despite putting like a blind epileptic. 

So, this turning 60 business hasn’t been as bad as advertised. I’ve still mostly got my wits about me, I feel good, and thanks to my fashionable wife...I now look good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment