Tuesday, May 12, 2020

My Reopening Plan

Traffic has picked up on Broad Street. The parking lots around my office are starting to fill up. The lot at Lowe's the other day looked like they were giving away free beer. Whatever might be happening at my State Capital or up in Washington, and no matter what might be happening with the actual Coronavirus, the American people seem to be voting with their feet, and their verdict seems to be...enough already.

This coming Friday, my State begins Phase one of the great reopening. Assuming that there is no corresponding spike in transmissions, two weeks later, Phase two will begin. Like everything else in America, how one feels about this reopening seems to fall along party lines, Democrats generally being against it, while Republicans are for it. Of course, these stances are not absolute. I’m sure that there are plenty of Democrat small business owners out there who are desperate to reopen, while there are also plenty of Republican lobbyists not so keen to hop back on a packed airplane anytime soon. But what about me...Mr. In Between?

It’s weird. We’ve been at this going on nine weeks now. Pam and I have been very careful to abide by every guideline and mandate that has come down. Still, neither of us know anyone who has gotten sick and died from COVID-19. We suspect maybe that our daughter in law might have had it, but that’s about it. Of course, that’s anecdotal and by no means illustrative of anything other than our good fortune. If numbers from Johns Hopkins are to be believed, the United States has had over a million cases and over 80,000 deaths so far. This number is higher than the predictions from the last White House briefing I watched from three or four weeks ago when they were estimating the total deaths would peak at 60,000. This past weekend Pam and I attended a wedding which perfectly illustrates the conundrum in which we find ourselves. The fact that this wedding was held at a drive-in theatre tells you that the families involved were taking the Coronavirus seriously. And yet, when we arrived, the first thing that happened was, my wife and the mother of the groom found each other ...and hugged. Then they separated, startled by the embrace with an exasperated look on their faces...Is this ok? I don’t know, but I’m so happy to see you I just can’t help myself..its a wedding for God’s sake!!! I think that this is how most of us are feeling. We understand that COVID-19 is deadly serious, but as human beings we just don’t know how to proceed, what is proper and what isn’t.

In this regard it sure would help if we could agree on the facts. It would be such a relief if we all had a source of numbers and information that we could all trust. At this point, anything I hear from either the White House or anyone in Congress is highly suspect. Even the veracity of the CDC and WHO have been called into question. One minute I hear one thing, a couple days later the exact opposite, and usually from the same source! It is maddening.

Here are just a few of the many conflicting things I have heard recently:

Kids can’t get it.
Kids can get it.
Animals don’t carry the virus.
Dogs can get it.
Once you’ve been exposed to the virus, you have immunity.
No, you don’t.
We are at least a year away from a vaccine.
A breakthrough might come sooner than you think.
We shouldn’t open until we have a cure...a vaccine.
Forget that, there are so many mutations out there we will probably need several vaccines.
Wearing face masks are critically important.
Wearing face masks makes little difference. At best a placebo effect since it makes the wearer feel safer.
Everyone needs to be tested before we can reopen safely.
That’s impossible and unneeded. We only need to test at risk populations in hotspots.
We are already past the worst of this.
The second wave of this will be twice as bad as what we have seen so far.
People who are sheltered in place in their homes at this point are babies and cowards.
People who are going about their lives are selfish money grabbers.

So, yeah. 

Here’s my plan. I am going to do my best to follow the guidelines handed down by my state and local government. I will wear a face mask when I go inside a store. I will continue to wash my hands a half dozen times a day. I will continue to use hand sanitizer every time I get in my car. When the restaurants open, I will probably limit myself to those with outdoor seating. I will still do my best to honor the six feet distance rule when interacting with others. Probably won’t shake anyone’s hands for quite a while. I will be patient with my church when it decides to reopen...I won’t get bent if I don’t get one of the tickets to attend the service I like. My business will slowly start allowing in-office appointments. We are still trying to figure that out. My gut feeling is that it will take several months of this reopening before I start feeling more normal with regards to personal interaction. It won’t be the end of the world if I have to alter a few lifestyle choices going forward, but they will have to be my choice, my decision as an informed, free citizen.

For me caution will be the theme of any reopening. And also, that old Ronald Reagan line comes to mind...Trust, but verify.


No comments:

Post a Comment