Monday, July 30, 2018

Vacation News



So far, in a mere eight days, we have seen several different species of wildlife. A bear, an eagle, several families of ducks, many loons, squirrels, a family of wild turkeys, and today...a mink made an appearance, dashing underneath Kaitlin as she was reading in a hammock. 

My wife has been Wonder Woman this week. Yesterday, she went for a 3.9 mile kayak trip, and upon her return, dashed back out for another hour on her paddle board. Then today, she started showing off. After towing Kaitlin and me out into the middle of the lake from her paddle board..(we were lounging around on our floats, bemoaning the difficulty we were having getting far away enough from the dock)..she decides to do a series of yoga poses on her paddle board!!

   



Kaitlin, demonstrating remarkable self awareness, declared herself the least valuable vacationer this afternoon after it occurred to her that she has done basically nothing this entire trip. Nothing, that is, except make demands of her father:

Kaitlin: Dad, could you head up to the house and get me a Chilly Willy? I like the pina colada flavored ones. Oh, and while you’re up there, could you bring me my beach towel...the fluffy thick one. This Adirondack chair hurts my butt.

Me: Of course, dear.

Kaitlin: Oh, and Dad?

Me: Yes?

Kaitlin: I’m still waiting for that Kaitlin blog!

Actually, my daughter has contributed a lot to the enjoyment of this vacation. Largely with comments like this one today at lunch...

I’m not sure I like adding bananas to my fluffernutter, making it a fluffernannernutter. They are too distracting.

Yes, it’s this sort of outside the box thinking that has made her a master teacher and molder of young minds. And yet, I had to remind myself this afternoon that she has a Master’s Degree in English literature, when I saw her pick up Jon’s binoculars to view the loons, and lift them to her eyes...backwards.

I played a round of golf this morning at my favorite local course, Rockland Golf Club. In keeping with my schizophrenic golf game, I hit every single fairway on the front nine and shot a 49, missed every fairway on the back nine and shot 38. The turkeys were not impressed...


But, the course was immaculate and I finished in a cool 2 hours and 23 minutes...walking!










No comments:

Post a Comment