Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Ten Best Beatle Songs...(show your work)

I blame my brother. He was ten years older and ten times cooler than me in 1964, and so I wanted to be just like him, which meant I had to become a huge Beatle fan. There we were on the living room floor, huddled in front of our RCA Victor black and white tv with the tin foil wrapped around the antenna watching Ed Sullivan. Our parents were on the sofa, arms crossed, looking throughly disgusted. Then..."close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow I'll miss you..." It was all over but the shouting.

So, today I submit for your consideration...the ten best Beatle songs of all time, along with my rationale for each. If you disagree and think you can do better, by all means, have at it. Just to clarify, this is a list of the ten best, however, the order in which they appear is random, since it would be a metaphysical impossibility to pick one over the other as the all time greatest. Here we go...

1. Revolution
    That mesmerizing electric guitar that gets more and more distorted as the song progresses, and the fantastic keyboard by Nicky Hopkins.

2. If I Fell
    Beautiful harmony

3. I Saw Her Standing There
    A rollicking, toe-tapping blast. About the most fun song of all time.

4. Norwegian Wood
    Evocative lyrics and haunting melody..always a wicked combination.

5. You Can't Do That
    Unlike another famous song, this one has the perfect amount of cowbell.

6. Oh! Darling
    The best vocals of Paul McCartney's long and storied career, especially the pitch perfect shoutout to Little Richard.

7. Here, There, and Everywhere
    Beautiful melody, touching lyrics, and stirring harmony.

8. In My Life
    Might be John Lennon's finest composition, and George Martin's piano solo was perfect.

9. Don't Let Me Down
    Brooding Lennon at his best, and Billy Preston's keyboard is magical.

10. A Day In The Life
     Probably the most creative and original recording in their library of brilliance. Masterpiece material.

What a foolish exercise this was! What could I possibly have been thinking?? How is it possible to construct a list of the best Beatle songs and leave off Let It Be, Hey Jude, the She Came In Through The Bathroom Window/Polethene Pam/Golden Slumbers compilation, and Here Comes The Sun?? Oh well, what's done is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment