Saturday, May 24, 2014

Am I a Racist?


On March 24, 2012 in a blog entitled, “A Conversation About Trayvon Martin”, I wrote this:
 Why is it that nobody in their right mind would dare be caught walking around in any predominately black neighborhood in America after dark? If I am walking with my wife, from a restaurant to my car downtown after dark and I see a group of three black teenagers in baggy pants, hoodies, smoking cigarettes on the corner, is it racist of me to be scared? If I cross the street to avoid having to go near them, am I guilty of a hate crime? Actually, in my mind, if I saw three white teenagers similarly dressed on that same corner I would experience the same fear, however if the instinct for self-preservation means anything at all, it means that my fear isn't racist, but rational.
A couple of days ago, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said this:
"I mean, we're all prejudiced in one way or another. If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there's a guy that has tattoos all over his face -- white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere -- I'm walking back to the other side of the street. And the list goes on of stereotypes that we all live up to and are fearful of. So in my businesses, I try not to be hypocritical. I know that I'm not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house, and it's not appropriate for me to throw stones."
Mr. Cuban has had the wrath of the racism industry brought down upon his head for his observations, becoming the latest NBA owner to be branded a racist.
So, does that make me a racist too? Before you answer, maybe you should take the time to read the following quote:
‘There is nothing more painful to me at this stage of my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
What mouth-breathing bigot said such a thing?
Jesse Louis Jackson Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment