Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Plea For Help


Dear Reader,

I need your help. It has come to my attention that I may be the beneficiary of a mistake by my health insurance company. This mistake will result in me maybe being able to keep my current health insurance, which Shakespeare might describe as a “consummation devoutly to be wished.” The problem lies in the fact that my insurance company insists that my current plan is “grandfathered”, even though I can think of three things that have occurred since March 23, 2010 that should have “un-grandfathered” it. What to do?

My wife suggested that I call my insurance company, describe these three events to them hypothetically (without giving them my name), and ask them if my hypothetical policy is still grandfathered. This seems like a reasonable approach. Except, I don’t want to run the risk of blowing up this incredibly sweet deal I have stumbled upon! “Let sleeping dogs lie” is the way my mother used to describe situations like this.

On the other hand, my last two blogs about the follies of Obamacare have been widely read. In them I took several perhaps gratuitous shots at the Affordable Care Act. Maybe there’s some welfare state loving, progressive, yes-we-can true believer at the NSA snooping around this blog who would love nothing more than to place a “head’s up” call to Anthem suggesting that they pay extra attention to one Douglas Dunnevant’s case file.

So, dear reader, if you have been reading this blog for very long, you have at least some idea of what kind of person I am. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have as to how I should proceed. What’s the right thing to do here? Blow the whistle on the illegitimate grandfathering of my policy, and take my Obamacare medicine, or accept this magnificent bureaucratic windfall and wiggle off the hook?

I suppose if I escape Obamacare, the higher premiums I would have paid won’t be available to provide the subsidy for someone else’s insurance. Does that make me a bad person? On the other hand the 600 and some odd dollars I will be saving every month can be spent buying steaks, bread and Yankee candles, which will benefit the butcher, the baker and the candle stick maker. Yes, this is a fine mess I find myself in. This is the mother of all conundrums.

Please respond either in the comment section below, or on Facebook. I eagerly await your wise and discerning suggestions.

Sincerely,

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment